The house of Captain Polycarpe Albert (1826-1875) is designated a Local Historic Place for its architecture and for its association with the Albert family. This vernacular Classic Revival residence exhibits traditional elements of that style, including its rectangular, 1-1/2 storey, 3-bay massing; lateral gable roof with returned eaves; wood shingle siding with corner boards; central gable dormer on the front façade with triangular window and coloured Gothic Revival windows; classical entrance with central door, entablature, sidelights and transom windows; and symmetry of door and window openings. In the 1970s, the fieldstone foundation was replaced with a new foundation, and the home was moved from the north to the south side of des Robins Street. Polycarpe Albert started out as a carpenter for Charles Robin and Company. In 1865, this son of a fisherman built his own 66-foot schooner which he baptized La Providence. The young captain entered the coasting trade, transporting merchandise between the ports of Caraquet and Quebec City. On a voyage to Quebec in 1877, he caught chickenpox and died. In 1898, La Providence was still very much sound and continuing to navigate the St. Lawrence River.
Fouse of Captain Polycarpe Albert
26, des Robin Street